CBD Oil For Migraine Pain – Why You Should Try It
One of our favorite things about Cannabidiol oil, or CBD oil, is that it doesn’t get you high and that CBD Oil for migraine pain is finally becoming a mainstream thing.
CBD oil helps to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, treat anxiety, depression, acne, heart disease, and may even fight migraines.
Many have claimed that smoking cannabis is an effective way to treat a headache but can CBD oil help with reducing the pain people experience from migraines?
This article will discuss 5 reasons how and why CBD oil for migraine pain will be your relief from megrim.
If you’d like to understand the difference between CBD and THC, check this out.
1. CBD Oil Fights Muscle & Joint Pain From Migraines
CBD oil has no psychoactive properties or effects on the human body. Dr. Stephen Silberstein, director of the Headache Center at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia says that CBD “works locally and even if taken orally, it won’t produce intoxication,”.
This doesn’t mean that taking CBD oil for migraine pain is scientifically proven, yet. Just give it some time as legalization will lead to much more research and case studies.
But, this does mean that taking CBD oil for your migraine pain is an option especially as a topical treatment for any muscle and joint pain caused you may experience from a migraine.
“If you have a lot of neck pain or soreness, it is perfectly reasonable to use CBD oil. It may even prevent nausea and vomiting,” says Dr. Silberstein.
Assuming CBD is legal in your county or state, and you happen to suffer from super awful migraine headaches, it may be worth your while to try CBD to treat your next migraine.
2. CBD Had Been Used Historically To Treat Headache Disorders
Historical reports are important resources for understanding the potential use of cannabis and CBD in the treatment of migraine headache disorders.
Clinical publications as far as 1839 and 1937 provide valuable insights into the most effective practices, challenges, and benefits during an era when cannabis, and CBD in particular, was commonly used to treat migraines.
A study published online in April 2017 shows these historical reports of the use of cannabis and CBD as a treatment for migraines.
The study goes on to say that the early reports of CBD for the treatment of migraines appear to be largely positive, with many patients experiencing a decrease in the frequency and intensity of their headache episodes.
However, in 1970 when cannabis was classified as a Schedule 1 drug, the clinical studies of the benefits of using CBD oil for migraine pain have become super difficult.
With the legalization of cannabis in many countries and American States, as well as the legalization of hemp in the USA and many parts of the world, there will be many more credible studies of using CBD oil for migraine pain published online.
If you’re considering using CBD to treat your migraines, we suggest you speak with a doctor before using it. Always check that the product comes from a reputable source, to ensure safety.
3. Recent Studies Says CBD Oil is Effective For Some Pain Relief
A clear benefit of using CBD oil to treat the pain of migraines is that CBD oil is an all-natural solution. There’s no over-the-counter painkiller and prescription drugs needed to find relief.
We’ve seen the historical data but are there any new studies with credible data showing how CBD oil helps with migraine headaches?
A study published in January 2016 reported the following:
- Migraine headache frequency decreased from 10.4 to 4.6 headaches per month with the use of CBD extorted from medical marijuana.
- Most patients used more than one form of marijuana and used it daily for the prevention of migraine headache.
- Positive effects were reported in 48 patients (39.7%), with the most common effects reported being the prevention of migraine headache with decreased frequency of migraine headache and aborted migraine headache.
- Inhaled forms of CBD using CBD vape pens or a CBD vape pen starter kit were commonly used for acute migraine treatment and were reported to abort migraine headache. Interestingly, edible marijuana was reported to cause more negative effects compared with other forms.
4. Cannabis & CBD Could Be Better Than Ibuprofen
When you have a migraine and you don’t have prescribed medication, I’m betting you usually go to Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, or some other over the counter drug that contains Ibuprofen.
But how safe is taking Ibuprofen regularly? If you have regular headaches and/or migraines you could be taking way too much Ibuprofen than is good for your body.
After all, you’re always told to take Ibuprofen with food, right? Ibuprofen can block or inhibit protective prostaglandins that have a functional role in the stomach and kidneys.
With using CBD to treat the pain from migraine headaches you don’t have to worry about this stuff. Science tells us CBD for migraine pain is a healthier alternative to Ibuprofen or opioids.
Here’s how cannabis and CBD work to reduce pain from migraines:
- All humans have a functional endocannabinoid system in their bodies regardless of if they’ve used cannabis/CBD or not.
- Cannabinoid receptors have been found to exist in virtually every single cell and tissue type in the human body, including the vast network of nerves, muscles, and soft tissues in the cranial region.
- Dr. Dustin Sulak of the Integr8 Health center in Falmouth, Maine, has gone so far as to call the endocannabinoid system “[perhaps] the most important physiologic system involved in establishing and maintaining human health.”
- When you use cannabis the active CBD cannabinoids in the plant will interact with and manipulate natural receptors in the endocannabinoid system, which will promote homeostasis on the whole-body level.
So how does cannabis and CBD oil help with migraine pain, exactly?
Remember that migraines and headaches are the results of inflammation in structures of the head and neck. Therefore, CBD interacts with localized endocannabinoid system receptors to reduce headache-inducing inflammation in acute muscles, tissues, and blood vessel networks.
5. CBD is an Effective Anti-Inflammatory
In 2009, this study reported that CBD is an effective anti-inflammatory.
They showed that active cannabinoids on the endocannabinoid system were noted to “suppress inflammatory responses” in acute tissue regions, which is exactly what happens to you when your migraines first get started.
This is where it really starts to make sense to use CBD oil for treating migraine pain.
In fact, in the summer of 2017, one cannabis-based clinical trial showed that active cannabinoids are much more effective than opiate painkillers at reducing chronic migraine pain.
This study reported that medication containing CBD or CBD oil reduced migraine pain for all subjects by approximately 43.5%, compared to 40.1% in the corresponding opiate medication, and with nearly zero side effects.
Why CBD is Your Best Choice For Migraine Pain
If you’re not already convinced that using CBD for your migraine pain is definitely something you want to try, let’s end off by discussing the huge benefits to using CBD oil and CBD hemp oil.
As we mentioned at the start of this article, CBD doesn’t get you high. CBD does contain all the benefits of cannabis but provides the user with no psychoactive effects.
CBD oil is 100% natural. CBD oil can be extracted from cannabis, including hemp, which means that CBD is a 100% natural cannabinoid and cannot be synthetically produced.
If you’re considering using CBD for migraines you should also know that CBD oil is the most potent form of CBD that you can buy. This is because the oil can contain more active compound per volume then can come from the plant itself.
It’s also important to note that CBD derived from the hemp plant, and that contains less than 0.3% THC, is legal in the United States.
Hemp is cannabis, more specifically Cannabis Sativa. The thing about hemp is that even though it is part of the cannabis species, it contains less than 0.3% THC, whereas cannabis can contain 20%+ THC.
This means you can use CBD to treat your migraine pain and not suffer from any psychoactive effects. Meaning you’ll be pain-free and not be high.
Find Deals, Coupons, and Promo Codes For CBD Products
Are you considering using CBD oil as a treatment for your migraine headaches?
CBDeals.co is always adding new CBD products to our inventory as well as new CBD promo codes, so check back regularly.